Thursday, February 24, 2011

Preparedness - The Sound of Music Way

I am once again in my preparedness mode - something that the basics of which are generally at least in the back of my mind and now and then takes the front seat. I was looking around for preparedness ideas on the net and found the funniest thing. The following was on a blog for a condominium in Seattle:

•The Sound of Music (1965)

The Sound of Music tells the story of an Austrian family -- with seven singing children -- in the days before the Holocaust. It’s a Couch Potato Preparedness classic for its sustainability and the sheer number of preparedness lessons.

– Maria is resourceful, making new clothes out of curtains.
– Captain von Trapp demonstrates using whistles as communication tools.
– He stays aware and informed of the situation, to make good decisions.
– To escape, they make a plan, share it, and adapt it as things change.
– The adults protect the children and the children help each other.
– In crisis, the family finds sanctuary and help from old friends.
– Of course: “My Favorite Things” is about thinking positively when bad things happen!

Use this family favorite to recognize diverse preparedness skills and actions.

I just laughed out loud when I read that - clever and certainly something I never thought of when watching the Sound of Music. And kudos for the condominium management for trying to help their tenants get prepared for natural disasters.

3 comments:

Sue said...

That is so funny! I never would have thought of that - good that preparedness is on everyone's mind ;)

Mandy said...

I don't think I'll be able to watch the movie without analyzing it now...

Megan said...

I'm surprised that came from a Condo administration... clever!