Friday, July 17, 2015

Kiwannawhaat!?!?

While in the produce section one day Dave and I decided we would be adventurous and try a Kiwano Melon.  They're those orange spiky melons in the rare and unusual fruit section.  The cashier asked if we'd ever had them and said they're green inside.  And they're "different."  Well, we know how to live it up so we bravely paid $3.99 for one Kiwano and went home with our treasure.  Here's what we found.


Here's the crazy outside:

They ARE green inside!!  And not AT ALL what we expected. I'm not sure what we were expecting but this was not it.


So, you cut it into pieces and then you sort of push it against your teeth and suck. You don't chew the seeds you just swallow. Seriously interesting experience. 



It took me several tries to really figure out how to eat these correctly. Don't chew the seeds just slurp and swallow. Dave was a good coach. 

And, they actually taste pretty good. The cashier at Sprouts was exactly right when she described them as "different" - that really is the most appropriate word.  They're not amazing good but they aren't bad at all.  They're different! We won't buy them often because they're $3.99 for one little melon about 6" long. Plus they aren't just always available like, say, kiwis are.

Oh and the most fun thing about Kiwano Melons is this:


They turn your tongue green!

Kiwanos are related to cucumbers (thus the seeds) and they come from Africa. I think everyone needs to try one just for the experience. And, in my party planning brain, I can't help but think these would be awesome for a Halloween party - alien brains or something!  heehee!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

The seeds! Blech. I'm glad you figured out how to eat them! It would be fun to try. Maybe we should have a weird food party!

Megan said...

That's one fruit I've never seen before! It looks interesting, but I agree with Mandy that there are way too many seeds.

Becky said...

Crazy! I've always been curious about those, but never brave enough to try them. Good job! :)I like Mandy's suggestion - a weird food party would be fun sometime!