Sunday, August 27, 2017

Reno Weeks 5 & 6

I forgot to blog about week 5 so I'll combine it here with week 6.

There was a lot of progress in week 5 such as new... I'm not even sure what this is called - bannister top or something. The old one drove Dave absolutely crazy because it was so poorly done (whaaat!? Not in this house!) and the corner here didn't line up even close to right. It has been redone properly and now he's a happy camper!


The new ceiling fans were installed and they're beautiful! They work really well and to our amazement only the fan blades move rather than the whole fixture!! Hooray!!


Lots of good things happened in week 6! Yesterday was lighting install day and the rest of the new lighting was installed. We'll start with my favorite - the entry way light. So long to the dark, ugly, old bug catcher and hello beautiful! I get a big smile every time I see this light. Oh, and it's brighter and as a Wild you know that makes me happy. 


 We installed these track lights in the kitchen. Two of them. The electrician kept asking if we really want both and Dave kept saying, "You just don't understand. You don't know my wife." It's lovely. Nice and bright. We still need to position the lights in the direction we want them but I think they'll work really well.

As the electrician was securing this to the ceiling he was trying to find the studs. Naturally they weren't in the logical places and he said "I wonder why the stud isn't there...."  House of Wonders. That's all. House of Wonders. We'll never truly know why so many people did so many things so poorly here.


Floors started going in this week. It's super dusty in this picture so a little hard to tell but they really are pretty. During the install in the living room we learned that - wait for it...... the ugly fireplace hearth tile (on the floor) is an inch different from one side to the other. Of course it is. We can't afford to replace that right now so we have to figure out how to make the floor work with it. 


And countertops went in this week. Better pictures to come when everything is completely finished. We're still trying to find a backsplash we like. We bought about 10 or 12 different ones and were really surprised that the ones we thought we'd like the best were the first to go and the ones we brought home on a whim "just in case" are actually in the maybe pile. 


Lots more to do but it's looking like we'll be moving back in around September 9th. Yay!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm getting so excited to see the grand finale - I can only imagine how you guys feel!! :)
I like that back splash sample that you have pictured. And I love the floors! And that light...looove! I'm glad Dave understand the need for a brightly lit room, hee hee!