Friday, February 6, 2009

Library Movies

I started checking movies out from the library, mostly because it's free, and I just reserve them, the library emails me and says they are ready and I just have to run in and pick them up.  So convenient. The only drawback, that is only a drawback sometimes, is that it can take a really, really long time to get the movie you want. Long time as in 6-12 months sometimes. Since it takes so long and I never know when one will be ready it's sort of a nice little surprise and I can pick it up and watch it on the weekend. I'm talkin' new release movies, etc. I can usually get documentaries (duh! Of course I watch those!) and older movies pretty quickly.

Clearly this doesn't work for everything since sometimes I want to see a movie sooner than that, in which case I just have to break down and rent it or try to get to the theater before its gone. 

I just read an article the other day that said since the recent economic changes (don't you like that positive word choice?) library patronage is up. Oh great! I mean, I'm all for people using the library - that's what they're there for. But it makes me think that my wait time for movies is going to be more like 12-18 months. Nuts!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Man! You better just put your name on a whole bunch of waiting lists right now before the masses come in and do it!:)

Sue said...

Ah yes,the other night when I was working there a librarian lady said they're giving out 150 new library cards a day. Now I think that must be county wide because they would have a line out the door if it was just here. But you're right, the library has been discovered!

. said...

Grumble. We should get some sort of preferential treatment for being loyal patrons, instead of jumping on the free bandwagon! We get all our kid movies there - they tend to be scratched though. hmmmm

Becky said...

Don't we just love the library? Although I don't love going there with 3 kids in tow, but it's great anyway. :)