Monday, September 7, 2009

Baseball, Suffrage, & Fainters

I went to help at Rock Ledge today for their annual vintage baseball game which is a big draw for the ranch. The players are dressed in early 1900s costume and there's an old time band that plays between innings so it was fun. Hot but fun.

We women gathered our signs and interrupted their game (as in, walked right into the middle of it) demanding women's suffrage, a servant girls union, and prohibition. It was fun to see audience members get into the debate along with us (or against us). We did get the boys to agree (begrudgingly) to let one of our women play on their team - on the condition that when she messes up, she's out! She was wearing a reform or bloomer dress which is a shorter skirt with bloomers that completely cover to the ankles - very daring but much more conducive to such things as baseball or climbing mountains.

On one of my tours a girl fainted and it caused quite a little disturbance in the house for awhile. We had to call the paramedics so a big ol' fire truck drove right up to the house and excited lots of attention. She was fine thankfully but the incident made me wonder why I seem to get the fainters on my tours. I had one at the other museum last month too. I guess if it keeps happening I'll become pretty well versed on what to do and what not to do but at this point I think I need to work on spotting them before they go down! Perhaps I'll require everyone to drink some water before we start or they can't come with us. Or perhaps I'll just be lucky and not have any more fainters this summer. But beware, if you're a fainter, you may want to choose another tour... or maybe wait until the winter to visit me at the museum.

5 comments:

Celeste said...

That sounds like such a fun baseball game. I had no idea you were such a great actress. =)

Megan said...

That sounds really fun! I wish I could go and watch your performances up there!:)

Sue said...

Well, I would think you ladies would be prepared with smelling salts for the frequent fainters. Which I believe happened a lot back when they wore corsets and all those layers in the heat of the summer.

Glorious Thoughts said...

Oh I'm so glad you know how to handle fainters because I'm one of them. I'll know who to look for when I'm having one of those moments.

Randi said...

What a fun thing to do! I have GOT to get to that museum pretty soon. I love that kind of stuff!