Thursday, June 4, 2015

And Now for the Stove...

Well, let's start with the dishwasher. It's finally been installed - hooray!!! The job was not done without a couple surprises, however. (Surprise! Oh. You aren't surprised by that?)

We took off the tiles - we both relished that job and the installer pulled the old dishwasher out. It was such a happy site to see that nasty thing leaving our house. It was then that we learned that the useless cabinet next to the dishwasher (long and narrow with a shelf in between so you can't even put cookie sheets or anything in there) has no back. Seriously? Yes, seriously. At one point someone stored sippy cups in there - we found a lid under the dishwasher.

But the more exciting surprise was the hole in the floor. See?


It's a little hard to see because it's also filthy under there but the hole is right by the black hose. Not sure how that got there, but then, this is the House of Wonders. But the happy, exciting news that nearly makes me giddy is that we have a nice new dishwasher installed that works well and is even quiet. YAY!!!

Ok, and now for the stove...

I heated the oven up on Sunday evening and got our dinner ready to be cooked. I put the food in the oven and turned the timer on - and everything turned off. Never to turn back on again it would seem. I took the food out while we fiddled with it, you know, just in case something exploded in the oven or something. This is the House of Wonders after all.

I turned the stove burners on high - nothing. I tried to turn the timer on  - nothing. I tried to turn the oven on - nothing. I turned the front, right burner on high then tried to turn the oven on and it worked. Sweet. We put the food in, left the stove burner on high (it wasn't working anyway), put rice in the rice cooker and let it all go to work. Guess what we had for dinner that night? Rice. Yeah, that was the only thing that cooked. Time to call the home warranty peeps. Again.

And change the menu so I can cook everything in the crock pot or electric skillet this week. Thank goodness for those wonderful tools!

Apparently that was not enough entertainment for one evening so it didn't stop there... Dave was doing the dishes and I hear "aaagghhh" and lots of water. I went to the kitchen and asked what happened. Then I looked at the sink and just laughed. There was no faucet on the sink. The dumb thing literally flew off while Dave was washing dishes. Flew off and got water everywhere. I mean, how does that even happen? Well, for starters I think it's the world's cheapest faucet. It looks like it would blow away if a strong wind came through the window (come to think of it, it probably would!). And, let's be honest, I'm sure it was installed wrong. So, cheap + bad install = trouble. But not until the Lunds move in.

Dave has managed to jimmy rig the faucet somehow so that we can use the sink until we get a new faucet on Saturday. The warranty peeps will be here for the stove this morning. I'll be honest, I'm hoping he tells us it's hopeless and they'll just put in a new stove.

And, I'm crossing my fingers that this will be it for awhile from the House of Wonders.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Well, I'm sorry that you've had ANOTHER thing go wrong, but I do appreciate the laugh when I pictured the faucet flying off! I'm glad Dave was able to laugh too! ;)

Mandy said...

Ha! The warranty people are going to think you're making this all up!

Becky said...

Maybe they glued the faucet on and the glue finally wore off. Craziness!