Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pears

Last Saturday Mom, Becky, and I canned pears. 110 pounds of pears which came out to be I think 56 quarts of pears. What a sticky mess. It's one of those times you just need a fire hose to spray down the kitchen because you use multiple rags and mop at least twice before the sticky goes away.

And you know how pears turn brown if they sit after you've cut them? Well, as it turns out the pear juice that you get on your fingers and under your finger nails also turns brown. Especially if your skin is dry. Then it just settles right into the little crevices in your skin and browns right up. It's gorgeous dahling! Especially since it's Wednesday and I can still see it. It looks like I haven't cleaned under my nails in ages. Maybe I'll just have to cut the long ones and start over...

I asked the J if he remembered these pears - they were his favorite when he was little but he hasn't had them in a very long time! He said, "Yeah, I love those with macaroni and cheese." Yep. That was his combo. He'd eat that as often as he could get it. And he never cared much for fresh pears because he preferred the bottled ones.

Some of our pears:

We had a few pears left over so I've been on a search to find great pear recipes. On Sunday I made a Pear Croustade for dessert that was yummy.



And on Monday I made Grilled Pears & Ham for dinner.



All this yummy fresh food is a blessing of summer!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Wow that is a lot of pear! That dessert and pear ham look so yummy! How creative you are!

Celeste said...

That's the same thing I'll be doing in a few days...except not nearly that many! Those things sound yummy.

Trisha said...

Can I just come eat at your house? LOL. Now I know who to go to for help on canning. ;)

Becky said...

Yeah, my fingers were brown for a long time. Yuck. But it's nice to have it done!! : )