Thursday, May 19, 2011

Absentminded Cook

Sometimes I think it's a wonder that anything turns out in my kitchen. Today I was making Snickerdoodles and I opened the oven to take the first batch out and this is what I saw:


(Well, I guess that's not exactly what I saw since these are stacked on a cooling rack but you see what I mean...)

Gadzooks! What in the world? I mean I haven't made Snickerdoodles in years but I don't remember them being terribly difficult and I know they aren't flat!

The dough was really soft and I read the recipe three times to see if I was supposed to chill it before rolling into little balls but no, no chilling needed... I just couldn't see what else it might be. I walked out of the kitchen because I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with the rest of the dough or just throw it out or what - so I took a break.

When I came back I realized that I had only put in 1 3/4 cup of flour not 2 3/4 cups! Duh!! I would like to say that this is the first time I've ever done something like this but it's not even close. In fact, this seems to happen in streaks so perhaps I need to do only minimal cooking for awhile. haha. I did add more flour to the remaining dough and it's quite amazing, the dough feels better and the cookies look like - Snickerdoodles.

I'll just say I invented a new cookie - Snickerdoodle Crisps. ha ha! I tell ya, if my head weren't attached...

4 comments:

Megan said...

Haha oh gravy! That reminds me of the time I made some "chicken puffs" for dinner. We had tried them once before and liked them but this time they were really bland and I sat there and said "these would be really good with some cheese and some garlic added to them". Later that night I was looking at the recipe and I realized it DID call for those things... I had just forgotten to add them!:)

Celeste said...

Well, knowing what a great cook you are and hearing that you sometimes make mistakes, makes me feel better! Those snickerdoodle thins would be great for cookie & ice cream sandwiches. I know because I've done that! =)

Catherine said...

Great...now I have to go make snickerdoodles to satisfy this craving. :)

Flat or not...YUM! I'm with Celeste, ice cream sandwiches!

Maybe instead of running out of the kitchen, it just means you need to make them more often so you can have them perfect every time. I would recommend making ME a dozen every week for the next two months to help you. I'm willing to make that kind of a sacrifice for you since you're such a dear friend. :)

Tammy said...

Oh Carrie, you're not alone! After making bread for how many years (10), I still sometimes forget to add the salt. Major bummer! :) I love reading your posts-you have such great whit!