Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer School is Crap!

I must rant for a minute. My dearest child is in summer school, apparently he didn't feel his needs were met during the regular school year and he wanted more. Ok fine. Whatever. (Here's where the rant starts.) It costs $150/class (he paid for it) and ruins, I mean, takes up most of the summer. You may or may not wonder what they do during summer school. I didn't, but I was naive. I'm so silly, I thought when he's there to make up an English class they'd do English class type work. Well, no worries, it's a lot more fun than that! It's storytime!!! Woohoo!

What? You think I jest? Oh no, I assure you, that's the nicest way I can explain what they do there. They will be reading 3 whole books this summer BUT rather than expect the widdwe kids to wead the teacher is reading them out loud. I called to ask the Vice Principal about it and he said he has no idea what they do in class as that is not his job. Huh? Whose job is it then? What do the principal and his little wing men do in all their spare time since they have no idea what goes on in classrooms?

Anyway, no homework, basically no written work. Just sit and listen nicely kids. OH! I forgot, they do have 20 minutes each day that they have to read all by their-own-selves, but, lest it become an arduous task, the wee ones can read anything they'd like, even comic books. I thought that was bad enough but don't worry, today was the most fun of all. They watched I Robot. Why? Did it have relevance to something - although I'd be hard pressed to understand why it would be necessary or even acceptable? Nope. It was just fun cause they had a substitute. Apparently subs cannot even read out loud - that task is much too difficult and more than can be expected. Gee, I think I won't be a teacher, I'll just sub - great pay, basically no work.

Here's my main dilema. I must ask this question - what is the purpose of summer school? And why must students take summer school to make up specific credits such as English, science, or math and not gym, foods, or foreign language? If what they should have learned (but apparently didn't learn because they failed) in those classes is important is that not the reason to require that they make it up? They must have passing grades in these classes to graduate. Why? If the school treats summer school classes as a joke, or more accurately as a fund raiser, then it seems that the classes cannot possibly be very important. And if it is, what is wrong with the school?

I realize these are the "loser" kids who failed. I further recognize that while Justin has his issues there are kids there that have way more severe issues. However, just because these kids gave up does not mean the school can give up on them. I realize they blew it. I realize they, for the most part, don't care. Yet, as educators is it not your job to try every possible means to help them succeed? And by that I simply mean teach them the English skills they will undoubtedly need in the coming years (and for the rest of their life) rather than treating this as a joke and filling it with mindless drivel. I also realize that parents of many of these kids don't care either but never should a teacher assume that a failing child has a parent that doesn't care. I would bet I'm not the only parent who is appalled at the lack of substance in this required time waster they call summer school. It is nothing but a fundraiser and a farce. Ok, I could go on but this is long enough. :)

1 comment:

monique said...

Wow! I don't know what else to say. Except that you are a very eloquent "ranter" --see what a good english class can do for a person?