Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Steinbeck is for the Birds!

Who decided that John Steinbeck's books are classics?? I tried to read The Grapes of Wrath when Megan was reading it for school - it was terrible. And terribly boring. I never finished it and have no desire to ever return to it. 

This year I am determined to read the books Justin is reading in English so that we can talk about them, etc. (And I'm secretly hoping that it will give me an edge when he says he's read something - then I can quiz him and see if he's being honest or not...) The first book this year was Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck. In the first 12 pages there were 17 swear words and the Lord's name was taken in vain 10 times. I assure you that there were instances of one, and usually both, on every single page in the book. No exaggeration.

Now I will say that it's a story with complex themes that can be pulled apart and analyzed, which is exactly what English teachers love to do, but I just didn't think it was that great. Certainly not a book that should be on everyone's 'must read' list. I guess I just feel like there's no reason to read a book that is filled with crap when there are so many books out there that truly are great! Why is it hard for the English department to find them?

Next up is The Great Gatsby - I can only hope it's an improvement.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Hmmm, I never had to read The Great Gatsby but I think Megan hated it. But there was this cute guy in college who said in class one time that his idea of the perfect woman is Daisy in The Great Gatsby. I guess he wasn't cute enough for me to actually read the book and find out what a perfect woman was supposed to be like. I'm probably the opposite of Daisy - being a tomboy and all.......

Megan said...

Yeah I'm pretty sure The Grapes of Wrath mentioned dust on every single page... exhillerating. And The Great Gatsby is an improvement over Steinbeck, but I definitley wouldn't just sit down and read it ever again.

Mandy said...

My motto is a great quote I found from Arwood H. Townsend (whoever that is): "Never force yourself to read a book that you do not enjoy. There are so many good book in the world that it is foolish to waste time on one that does not give you pleasure."
Unfortunately, I don't think it would jive well if you told your teacher that was your motto... :)

Carrie said...

That's my new motto too! I love it. I bet English teachers hate it, how could they inflict pain on the next generation?