Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Less Laundry

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that J's laundry is quite a bit less than it has been in the past. He'll probably suggest that it's because he has no clothes and therefore nothing to wash.  I assure you, this is not the case. You might think he's wearing dirty clothes over and over.  Trust me, he's not into that - he likes his image far too much. What then, can be going on?  

I realized that I haven't been bothering him as much about picking up the clothes on his floor and putting them away.  Of course when I say that, I mean 'away' in the sense of putting them in a dresser drawer (he has 5 drawers available to him) or hanging them neatly (or not neatly - what do I care?) on hangers in his closet (where he has ample room). Since those options don't appeal to him (FAR to much work and sadly, then he "can't find anything") he leaves them on his floor. When I bug him to put them away, he puts them in his laundry hamper and brings them down on laundry day. So since I haven't been bugging him, he hasn't bothered "cleaning up" and I have less laundry to do. 

This is one of those contradictions that as a parent I'm not quite sure how to address. I mean, I appreciate less laundry but, really, he should learn to put his clothes away... Eh, whatever. Less laundry for me!

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

Um, so why doesn't he just get the job of doing his own laundry? When I was 8 I had to start doing my own laundry! I know. I had to walk uphill both ways to school in waist-deep snow! Which is hard...for San Jose! Whenever I suggest the idea of making C do his own laundry he responds, "yeah, but that's because your mom worked full time!" Yeah. He's a special child.

Carrie said...

Ooo, I guess therein lies the ugly truth under this whole quandary! Of course I should make him do his own laundry, occasionally I do, but not too often... I actually don't mind doing laundry, yes I know that makes me weird, so I guess it doesn't bother me.

I love that your working mom made you walk in the snow and do your own laundry! Good for her! haha! ;)

Sue said...

Ahh, such memories! There was one sweatshirt I washed pretty much every day - but I never remembered seeing any of the boys wear it. I finally wised up and went from son to son and asked if this was their sweatshirt. No! I hate that shirt! was pretty much the identical reply from all 4 of them. So what do you do when you hate your clothes???? Put it in the laundry of course!

Becky said...

Yeah, make him do his own laundry. You have enough to worry about. Of course, I have to say that I don't mind doing laundry, either. I actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. I don't mind washing the clothes, but I hate folding them.

. said...

I guess I fit right in here! I can say that I actually like doing laundry! I think it must be that accomplishment feeling that Becky mentioned, but I like folding, too. Jasen will offer to help and I turn him down - there's probably something wrong with me (or the way he folds the clothes!)

Tara said...

Crazy, I say bask in the joys of less laundry, he will eventually get tired of wearing things twice and put them in for you. It's what I did as a kid. :)

And, whatever it is all you ladies have done to fall in love with laundry, I'm sure my husband would appreciate knowing. I will put it in the washer and dryer, but he has to fold everything and put it away, I can't stand it!