Monday, September 29, 2008

This is Important because...

In a jar you have collected spare coins. You have the same number of dimes as quarters. The rest are nickels. You have a total of 34 coins valuing $4.20. How many of each coin do you have?

Now really, if you are neurotic enough to need to know how many of each type of coin you have in your jar - and you only have 34 coins - just take the bloomin' things out and count them! 

Oh, I know, this is not about coins necessarily, it's just a way to think about a certain type of math problem.  (Forget that there's a whole category of word problems called 'coin problems.') I maintain that it's a ridiculous kind of math problem that will likely never do me any good. 

I've realized that half of my problem in math is that I sit there and think to myself "this is so STUPID!" or "I am ne-ver going to use this!" and that distraction (never mind how TRUE it is) makes math even harder. But it's true! (You can see that I really do get stuck here.)

3 comments:

Sue said...

I think I would have to get a coin jar and sort out the amount they listed and figure it out with real live coins. Of course this is because I haven't taken any math since 10th grade which I believe was in 1969 and I'm sure they've changed it since then........
But!!! I can balance my checkbook!!! Without jars of coins!!!

Megan said...

Oh man I hear ya!

Tiffany said...

totally lame! Maybe you should boycott all math classes. :) I'd be on your team!