Thursday, March 12, 2009

Baby Gifts

My sister, Mandy, just had a new little baby that I really wish I could hold and cuddle cause he's so cute! But he's far away so I'll have to wait...  Anyway, Becky and I made some baby gifts that were fun so I thought I'd share:

This is a waterproof bag. It's cloth fabric on the outside and vinyl tablecloth fabric on the inside. The idea is that you can put wet things, such as swimsuits, inside so they don't get everything else soaked on your way to your destination. This bag is big, but since she now has 4 kids we figured that'd be good.


Then we made a hooded bath towel. She has several of these, but let's be honest, what kid likes to share? That's right, none of them do so baby Cameron needs his own towel. The good thing about the homemade bath towels is that they are thicker, because you use a real bath towel, and bigger. An added bonus is that these towels keep kids warm and happy at bath time for many years, not just during babyhood. I think the naked Cabbage Patch baby in this towel is just perfect for demonstration purposes. I mean what else are naked Cabbage Patch kids good for?



When you make a hooded towel, at least the way I do it, you use a hand towel for the hood that's been cut in half. (A hand towel is better than a washcloth because it's bigger and remember, if you're going to make it, you want it to last for a long time - therefore, you want the bigger hood.) The question is always what to do with the random half that's left over. This time is used fat ribbon, folded it over the cut edge and sewed it on. It makes for a big washcloth or a small towel but I'm pretty sure any mom can find a use for it.



Lastly, and this is probably our favorite, we made a taggie toy. This is just two pieces of flannel and various ribbon. And it's almost square. I was laughing when I was sewing this because I'm somehow supposed to make a Victorian dress for myself (more on that later) but I can't even cut and sew a simple square... 



We also decided that these are gifts that we really should only give our sisters who understand our sewing abilities. Or lack thereof. 

This was such fun. I haven't crafted in a long time and now Becky and I are in a crafting mood. Which is fun but can be dangerous too... 

6 comments:

Tara said...

So cute. I still love darci's towel you made her, it is the only one that fits well, it is so big and cozy.

. said...

I love the taggy toy! Jackson goes right for the dang tags in everything he picks up. Why buy toys? I'll just make him one of those - don't worry - it probably won't be square either. (by the way, I'm dying to hear what the victorian dress is for - and I can maybe help if you need it)

Celeste said...

Wow- what a great Aunt you are! Love the cabbage patch doll model. Can you teach us that are sewing challenged how to make one of those towels and washcloths for an Enrichment Class? Title it: Sewing for Dummies. =)

Megan said...

Oh I'm loving the cabbage patch model haha! I'm glad I'm in the sisters category so one day I might be on the receiving end of these wonderful gifts;);)

Becky said...

It was fun!! And I'm still in that crafting mood....what's next???? : )

Trisha said...

Everything looks so cute! Especially the taggy toy. Maybe you'll have to help me make one for my niece. ;) I've done the hooded towel, but I used the whole hand towel for the hood, so there was nothing left to find something to do with. BTW, happy late birthday!