Tuesday, March 10, 2009

PPT Sing-Along

One of the morning DJs on the radio yesterday was talking about new slang being used around offices and one of them just cracks me up - "powerpoint sing-along." The idea is that some people make a powerpoint that is nothing but words, and perhaps a few pictures if you're lucky, and they simply read it to you. It makes for a great presentation! It's sort of like story time for grown ups but there's no fun characters or plot line - it's just boring work/school stuff. 

The more I thought about it, the more I laughed. I have a teacher that does this exact thing - BUT - to make matters better, she even has a laser pointer to point to the words as she goes along! I wish I was kidding. But, I'm not. I'm so glad she does that because we would be so lost if she didn't 'point' the way. I mean who can read and listen to the exact same words, often repeated more than once, without being totally confused? (Now, to be fair, I should tell you that she doesn't point to every word. But the point is that she points to far too many words.) Pointers are for charts or pictures where you have to pick out a small section or something, not to show us which word was just spoken...

If you've ever seen one of those Disney sing-along movies where the Mickey Mouse head or little ball bounces along from word to word, you'll know exactly what I mean. So don't worry kids, you'll still get sing-alongs in college! 

Powerpoint Sing-Alongs! That is my new favorite phrase! 

4 comments:

Celeste said...

okay, this is hilarious! It's also very true and very annoying. So much for main points being highlighted! At least you know if you ever miss class, everything she said will be on her slides.

Becky said...

Ooo-fun! It makes me want to go to college!

Em n' clan said...

Hey Carried just had to check in- we are in Orem for a bit longer...jecampbellclan@hotmail.com will stay with us where ever we go- the verizon.net had to be covered by verizon and as you know quest rules in the intermountain west.

Sue said...

That's almost as good as a RS teacher that just assigns paragraphs in the book and you go around the room and everyone reads a bit until you finally read the whole lesson. yawn.
But I don't know anyone who does that. Really. If I did it was a loooong time ago. And I've never done that. Heck no.