Friday, April 10, 2009

The Problem with the 1880s...

I started training today as a docent at Rock Ledge Ranch in Colorado Springs (summer gig) and the house I'll be working in is interpreted in the 1880s. Rock Ledge requires period costumes so we (all of us trainees) were looking through their supply today and trying to find ones that fit. The problem with the 1880s is that apparently they did not have busty women. Hippy women - no problem! Big flowing skirts are very forgiving but tight fitted bodices, not so much. So I had to "rent" a couple patterns to see if we can adjust one of them and whip up my own costume instead of renting one. 

Ok, now seriously, has this never come up before? Or do the bustier girls just have to make their own? And then since they went to all that work maybe they keep them rather than donating them to the museum for future busty docents? I did feel better knowing that 5 of the 6 in docents training today had a hard time finding clothing that fits. I would've felt a little sad if it was just me. Good thing we (notice I keep saying "we" - that's because mom is 100% tied to this project with me) have until June 6th to get it finished. That's enough time right? Right?

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Sweet- another chance to wear a fun costume. Good to know that the 1880's were not a good time period for well-endowed women! lol

Lindsay Jane said...

A) I'm glad I'm alive now. B) I'm sure the costume will work out. You're the most domestic person I know so you'll whip something up in no time.