Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Slowin' Me Down

My surgered foot is slowin' me down! You're probably thinking "duh!" - let me assure you I did expect this... It's just that I'm a little impatient - shocking, I know.

Generally I walk pretty fast - there's no need to mosey, just move it. I go nuts when I get stuck behind someone who is taking their sweet time and especially when I get behind a whole group that has to spread out and take up the whole sidewalk and meander and move at turtle pace - just kills me. I mean seriously, what is the deal? Dawdle if you must, but leave room so people can get around you. It's not that I have to be anywhere or that I'm always late, I'm not - I tend to be an early bird - I just walk fast, plain and simple. (But there might be people who do need to get somewhere so really, don't block the whole sidewalk. But I digress...) 

Come to think of it, I have a tendency to leave people behind and not even realize it. One minute they're there, the next they're way behind. What's the deal? Keep up already, ja? Perhaps you've noticed this? Maybe it's better if you haven't. Yeah, I'll hope that you haven't and this is all just a surprising revelation, or confession, to you.

When J was little I'd hold his hand and walk like I normally do until he said, "Mommy, you're going to fast!" Poor kid! He was running to keep up and I didn't even notice. (I'm not talking about one isolated incident either.) But don't worry, I slowed right down. For a minute or so. I'm pretty sure I've done this to my nieces and nephews too. Yeah, I seem to remember Avery telling me to slow down once. Or twice...

So maybe this is a good thing for me. I can learn not to travel at warp speed (ok, I'm not that fast!) and I can see what all the fuss is about dawdling. Or perhaps I should say 'strolling leisurely' - that's a more positive spin. But, let's be honest, once my foot is healed --- there will be no more moseying so be prepared to keep up. 

5 comments:

Sue said...

I'm all for fast walking! I know just how you feel when you get behind pokey turtles. The only time I walk slow is when I'm wearing my Sunday shoes which don't stay on my feet very well and are uncomfortable, then I'm on half speed and I hate it. Here's to sandal weather!
(hey, maybe it's not your foot anymore, it's the dang wooden shoe that's holding you up!)

Celeste said...

I think its very inefficent to be a slow mover. I am always thinking about how many more calories I'd be burning if I was moving faster. Enjoy taking time to smell the roses. =)

. said...

Yeah, I'm the same way. I have the same "taking up the whole sidewalk" problem here in my house. How can one little body literally make it impossible for me to pass them in the hallway or going down the stairs? At least mosey in a straight line!

Megan said...

We must have gotten the fast walking gene from Mom because I'm the same way... I hate when I get stuck behind people who seem like they have an entire week to spend walking from one point to another. Sheesh!

Becky said...

Just think of it as time to stop and smell the roses. Well, sort of. Seriously, though, I hate dawdlers, too....they drive me nuts. So I can feel your frustration! We all hope your foot heals soon - not just so that you can get back to warp speed. :)