Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day One at Rock Ledge

I started my "internship" at Rock Ledge Ranch living history museum yesterday. First off may I ask why there seems to be only one adult chaperone per 20 children on field trips? They (mostly the kids) don't get that whole "don't touch" rule and the one chaperone has a hard time enforcing it. And sometimes they don't even bother. Sigh.

We made butter yesterday. (We're portraying life in the 1880s remember.) That's really a big process and a good work out! Last night my shoulder was getting sore and I couldn't think of why until I realized it's my right shoulder and since I'm right handed I mostly did the churning with my right arm. And since it was my first day the other interpreters took people on tours and I did a lot (but not all) of the churning. It's still sore today. I hope that doesn't last long.

I was sitting on the porch pressing the butter (just one of the steps in the butter making process) and it was raining. I was sitting right outside the kitchen door and there was a fire crackling in the stove in the kitchen, it was quiet and no one was around and it was so peaceful. I just loved it! A short time later the peacock found the tree by the porch and climbed into it and kept - I don't know, what is it peacocks do? scream? - screaming because he didn't like the rain. Poor General Palmer! It wasn't quite as peaceful then but still enjoyable.

When I was about to leave the Lead interpreter came up the house and said there was a tornado watch in Castle Rock and funnels had been spotted. She wanted to warn me since I have to drive through Castle Rock to get home. I'm no tornado chaser so I decided I'd stay a little longer until the watch expired. So I continued to mold the butter...

All in all it was a good day at the ranch. I'm sure to learn some interesting skills this summer that I'll never use in my real life but it'll be fun anyway.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

What a fun way to spend some time this summer! And you will learn some applicable skills if you're going to be doing any sort of museum work - just think of all the nice ways you'll be able to tell the kids to keep their mits off of things by the time the summer is over!

Sue said...

Gee, I remember taking our kids and a gazillion day care kids to all kinds of museums and tours, anything that was free or cheap. I think my rule was "look with your eyes, not with your hands" repeated over and over and over and over......
I does sound like a really peaceful way to spend a day! Even with General Palmer.

Megan said...

Are you liking Rock Ledge or the Molly Brown House better?

. said...

I was always the frustrated teacher who brought 1 adult per every 5 kids but STILL couldn't get the ADULTS to enforce the rules. Why did I bother? I did better on my own without them. Just picture - 15 fourth graders RUNNING around the outside of the dome of the capital building. (the other 10 didn't because, well, they were with ME!) I think that may be the real reason they didn't let people climb to the dome anymore. Yep - my class - my fault. Sorry.