Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer Poem

I was looking for quotes to put on our RS calendar today and I came across this poem:

Bed In Summer Poem

In winter I get up at night,
And dress by yellow candle light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day,

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown up people's feet
Still going past me in the street,

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

by Robert Louis Stevenson

I had to laugh because I totally remember this feeling when I was a kid. Going to bed when it was still light was so unfair! Of course, as a parent I had no problem with that rule... But I'm pretty sure the J didn't care for it... heh heh.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Oh I remember reading that poem to you guys! And remember how J would laugh every single time we recited:
Birdy with a yellow bill
Hopped upon my windowsill
Cocked his shining eye and said
Ain't you shamed you sleepy head?

And since he would giggle we would say it over and over to him.
sigh, isn't it fun when they're little and cute :>)

. said...

Oh yes - the evil of parents who make you go to bed when it's light out! Ah well, they all survive somehow, right?

Mandy said...

Great poem! It's all about sanity for the parents...

Diana said...

What a great poem! Every night at bedtime, I hear, "but's it's still day!" LoL

Becky said...

I remember that, too! And of course the boys have pointed out many times that "it's still morning". Off to bed with ya, little boys!