Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Shopping

I was at Barnes & Noble this week and there were about 4 people in front of me. To one side they have a table for free gift wrapping done by various organizations that are hoping that you'll donate generously to their cause. (There isn't room for this table at the end of the line after you've paid so there it sits at the beginning of the line...) The guy immediately in front of me began talking to the lady at this table. Great, no problem. Accept that he totally forgot to monitor the line and before you know it it was his turn. There were two cashiers ready so I walked quickly past him to one of the cashiers and he stopped mid-sentence and said "Was I holding you up?" His face said so much more. It was more like "you dumb broad! What's your problem?" I smiled and said, "We're both up!" and pointed to the cashier who was waiting for him. Her face said, "Hey bozo, there are 20 people behind you who are ready to check out if you're not." (Never underestimate what a face can say. They say so much, you just have to pay attention.) Even my cashier was looking at him rolling her eyes because she had been waiting for him too.  

Now, what I really wanted to say to him was that I think it's wonderful that he's interested in the I'll-Wrap-Your-Gift-For-Free-If-You'll-Donate-To-My-Charity lady but if you're not going to pay attention and step lively when it's your turn, then don't be offended when I go in front of you. Step out of line until you're ready to be part of the line. 

That same day I was in line at Walmart and had a huge cart load (HUGE). The lady behind me started rolling her eyes and sighing. I was thinking she could have used those very eyes to look before she got in line and if she doesn't want to be behind my big cart, choose another line. And I have to mention that my order went very smoothly. It's not like I was that annoying customer that had 12 price checks and an open package that needed to be replaced, and, well you know what I mean. I just had a big order. 

So, today I'm heading out for more shopping. I hope I have nothing to report when I return.

3 comments:

Sue said...

And from the angle of being a cashier when there's big lines - I totally appreciated anyone who would move quickly and have their money ready. Too bad for Mr. Holds-the-line-up! My pet peeve was the person with a LARGE load who carefully watches you scan everything, sees the total for the order, pauses while their brain registers - Oh! I have to pay now! Then proceeds to Start Looking Through Their Purse For Their Checkbook. Arrrrgh! Never crosses their mind to have the check filled out (or to upgrade to a debit card!!) Well, it's that time of year for ranting, forgive me!

. said...

and you were oh-so-polite, to boot! I need lessons from people like you. Actually, when you have 4 little kids with you and two of them are probably screaming, people tend to move out of my way! =)

Becky said...

Some people have no clue. First, the lady at Walmart - duh! It's almost Christmas. What does she expect? Lines are part of Christmas shopping dumbo. And the guy in BN - like you said, get out of the line until you're ready to be part of it. Some people!!