Monday, December 22, 2008

If your arms are full...

This morning I went to Sams Club to get stuff for our annual fondue dinner on Christmas Eve. I was putting two large trays of meat in the fridge... well, let's rephrase... I was holding two large trays of meat in one arm and attempting to move stuff with the free arm. You might already have a foreboding feeling, and maybe you're thinking 'why didn't she just put the meat on the counter?' Let's not oversimplify things. I was sure there would be no problem to juggle things. 

I reached for this largish tupperware, that was a little heavier than I had anticipated, and tried to move it up a shelf. The tupperware, however, decided that the floor was a better location. As I dropped it the lid went flying off and stroganoff-type sauce went flying everywhere. I got in my eye (even with my glasses on!), on my face, all over my clothes, across the room to the pantry doors... Needless to say there was a massive puddle on the floor with pork and potatoes swimming in a lovely brown gravy. 

Of course I was supposed to be at the church in 30 minutes, when do these things ever happen at convenient times? I was trying to clean up quickly so that I'd have enough time to change rather than go smelling like onion and mushrooms. And because it was wet and uncomfortable.

This afternoon I started making a cake that looks great. It's a cinnamon cake with caramel glaze and chopped cashews on top. You're supposed to make the topping so you can pour it on the hot cake while the sauce is hot. Sounds easy enough. BUT the cake, which is supposed to take 22-25 minutes to bake, has now taken 35 minutes and is so not done. And the caramel sauce is burned. I'm thinking the outside of the cake will likely burn before the inside is done. Sigh. So much for our yummy dessert tonight. 

I'd better get out of the kitchen before I create a real disaster. Good thing dinner is in the crockpot. I can't mess that up too much, can I? Can I? 

2 comments:

. said...

If you were coming to the church for US, then we wouldn't have minded the onion and gravy smell. Trust me - we smell funny things all day long around here!

Sue said...

Well, I know I said we needed to clean the leftovers out of the fridge.......