Monday, December 29, 2008

time to organize

Always at this time of year I want to organize things. Well, I want to organize things pretty much all the time but mostly don't have (or take) the time but now I'm ready. And feeling a desperate need to do so. (Have you seen my desk?) I was pretty excited to see rubbermaid tubs (not for my desk) and other various organization tools in the ads yesterday. Am I the only one to get excited about that? Every year? 

I was also wishing we could have our 2nd annual Stuff Swap in January but alas, basketball trumps all. So, that gives me until March 21st to clean out and organize and clean out so I can donate all sorts of things. It just occurred to me that maybe not everyone knows what the Stuff Swap is... 

Our Stuff Swap is like a giant indoor garage sale where everything is free. People bring anything they want to get rid of and we set it all up by category in the gym at church. Then for the next few hours people can come "shop" and take home whatever they might need/want. Last year was a huge success and we had stuff in just about every category you can imagine - clothes, electronics, toys, fabric, decor... Someone even donated several bars of soap that they didn't want. That might sound odd but it was great! The left overs go to various charities such as Goodwill, the Jeffco Action Center (JAC), Warm Hearts Warm Babies, etc. Places like JAC help homeless or needy families so things like soap are needed. 

Anyway, it was really cool and I'm looking forward to it this year. (You may be able to tell that I'm also in planning mode...) I guess I'd better get back to my desk.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I always get the urge to organize at this time of year too! Maybe it's partly that you've made it through the craziness of the holidays and partly that it's almost a new year and you want to start out with things organized. Here's to what you can get done with those fabulous organization urges!

Sue said...

Ahh, should I say I want to get organized or should I just admit that I want the Christmas stuff down. I LOVE it when the trees are gone and the rooms look bigger and everything is cleaned up. It's funny that I'm totally orgainzed at work but my desk testifies to my lack of organizing at home. Pity.

Megan said...

Oh I was talking to Becky about how I want to build a house one day with built in organizational areas! I love love love it when things are all organized and clean and non-cluttered... too bad it's so hard for me.