Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Glued Fingers

Sometimes I glue my fingers. I know, how odd. But you see, in the winter, even when it's only a pretend winter like this year (not cold, not snowy...), my skin dries right out and and the ends of my fingers split right by the finger nails. So, a few years ago I started using superglue on the worst of the splits and it seems to help most of the time. But not always. And then I'm left wondering what I can do because the split can last for-ev-er! And, I don't know if you have this particular problem, but if you do, have you ever been shocked and it is somehow channeled right into the split? OH-MY-HECK! That's a beast! 

When the glue wears off I reapply but really, when even the glue isn't working what's a girl to do? 

5 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my, yes, I have shocked a split finger. OUCH! That's the worst! I'm glad you understand, because most people look at me like I'm crazy when I ask if they've ever done that. : )

Celeste said...

I was actually just going to post about this as well! My fingers, at least 3 at a time usually, split quite a ways down from the nail and it hurts so bad and they bleed all over. Band-aids won't stay on and super-glue ends up drying out the tips even more and making it worse (for me). So now, I've succombed to sleeping with gloves on at night after I lather up major, which helps alot. But they still split sometimes and then I bought the waterproof bandaids and put those on the fingers during the day. I look like a weirdo but it stops the splitting!

Sue said...

Um, I do work in a pharmacy and there's stuff called New Skin which is kind of like super glue and kind of like nail polish. It works kind of like both of them BUT it's made for human beings not wood or plastic. I have some, you can borrow it OR I'll get you your own little bottle. Also lotion, lotion, lotion (Gold Bond is the best I've found) and Celeste is right about the gloves. We sell cotton gloves for sleeping after you've greased your hands with vaseline for the night. Geeze, you know how full of advice I am, I'm shocked you didn't ask for any......

Sue said...

Umm, at first I thought you were refering to your old childhood habit of smearing your fingers and hands with Elmers glue so you could peel it off.

Steve said...

Go get this stuff called bag balm. I used it when I was doing masonry and my hands would split so bad that they would bleed all the time. get some cheap cotton gloves and smear the bag balm all over your hands then put the gloves on and go to bed. If you do this every night you will see some improvement.