Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hallux Rigidus

I went to the foot doctor today because I've had toe pain for a long time.  It turns out I have Hallux Rigidus, which in a nutshell is "a disorder of the joint located at the base of the big toe." It's largely due to the way my shape is formed and it leads to a type of arthritis that makes the bones rub against each other because the soft tissue is mostly gone. In words I understand best - it hurts. 

They did X-rays and I definitely have a bone spur where the problem is (which happens with this hallux thing) and the soft tissue isn't so much there. No wonder I can't walk right. He said he can tell that it's made me start walking on the outside of my foot. I told him that was one reason I came in - if I start walking like that it'll just lead to other problems. He agreed and said it'll lead to knee, hip, and back problem. Like I need more back problems!

Short term solution - I had an injection in my toe, which didn't hurt near as badly as I expected it to, and he taped my foot as though I was wearing an orthodic. These don't solve anything but should make it so it's less painful until I elect to do my long term solution.  

Long term - I'll have to get surgery if I want it to actually go away. They'll go in and shave off the bone spur and clean up around the joint and then I'll be able to walk normally again.

When I left his office this morning I walked without pain for the first time in a year! That was great. The numbing is wearing off now so I can feel a little pain again but hopefully it won't be as bad as it was before... I think I'll do the surgery over spring break - because what else am I going to do over spring break? :) Seriously, I can only put this off so long. I mean, I can't wear heels again until I've had the surgery. Maybe that doesn't sound problematic to you... but to me it's an issue. And frankly, it would just be really nice to not to have to limp or wince every time I walk somewhere.  

One more quick side note, it was really kind of cool to see an X-ray of my foot. Hmm, those are my bones, not just a text book picture. Not that I didn't think those were real pictures, it's just different when it's your own body. 

6 comments:

Tara said...

Uh, so sorry to hear. But I also hate to mention that this sounds nearly identical to what Linds had!!! You need to talk to her, and in the meantime, I sure that injection helps!

Sue said...

Well, you know my goal in life is to leave this earth with all my parts intact, no cutting. But I would have this done if I needed too. And of course this is my goal, perhaps not yours. I'm just afeared of the total joint replacement type things and the loooooong recovery times. But I'm glad you were able to find out something for real, not just "oh, we call that toe pain"

Megan said...

Ditto to what mom said! I would much rather have an affirmative answer rather than "sorry you're in pain we have no idea what's wrong with you!" Good luck with your surgery!

Celeste said...

Ooo, sounds painful. I'm going to be watching you closer when you walk now. =) Good choice on going in for the surgery. It will be worth it.

. said...

When is Spring Break? We can come entertain you while you have to be off your feet if you'd like! I have my own 3 ring circus! Sorry you're hurting!

Tiffany said...

I was totally thinking the same thing as Tara! Lindsay's surgery was annoying, but I think she is quite happy with the result. Good luck, and I hope you aren't in too much pain!