Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Blood Bus

I set a goal at the beginning of this year to donate blood because it seems like a good thing to do. It's the end of July and I finally got up the nerve to do it. See, no one can ever find my veins so I've never had blood drawn, or an IV, or anything with just one stick. It's usually several and several different nurses, techs, whatever, that try it. I'm pretty much averse to any and all pain and multiple jabs does not work with that. And I mean, really, who likes needles anyway? Ooo, yes, please poke me with that big sucker! Nevertheless, I decided I'd go and donate blood and check off that dang little goal.

I got to the blood bus and filled out my paperwork and they took my temperature, and pricked my finger to check my red blood cell count, etc. Then I sat in the lovely little reclining chair and one of the phlebotomists went to work. But couldn't find a vein in my left arm. So we switched chairs and a different phlebotomist eventually found a vein in my right arm. (Perhaps my veins reside in the middle of my arms rather than close to the surface like most peoples?) She put the needle in then looked at it with a screwed up face. "Hmm, not much blood is coming. It should really be gushing by this point. Do you mind if I adjust the needle?" Oh sure, why not! (This happened when I had surgery too - the blood should have been gushing... but it wasn't. Apparently I also have less blood than others or else it knows when someone is trying to steal it and it stays far away from the predator.) The adjustment didn't work. Phlebotomist Tom came over and looked at it and asked if he could see my left arm. He found a vein in my left arm and if I don't mind they'll switch me back to the other chair and take it from that arm. That is, if I don't mind.

Naturally I said I didn't mind - I mean what else am I going to say? Heck no! I'm done with this and this is what's kept me from coming here all this time? Well, I agreed and first had to go back to the waiting area while the other persons in the left arm chairs finished up. This is clearly a very simple procedure for most people - and fast - they come in, sit down, the blood flows, they leave. Ten to fifteen minutes. But not for me. Oh no, we're going on an hour at this point. And other people were just flying through the place!

Phlebotomist Tom was able to locate a good vein in my left arm and once he got the needle in the blood flowed quickly and filled that little bag right up. (I guess my blood gave up the hiding bit.) He said that if I want to donate blood again (he was clearly unsure if I'd be willing to come in again) that I should drink double my normal intake of water for 2 days ahead of my donation and that should help. I'm not sure that would help but I'll keep it in mind. Because by next summer I might have forgotten this ordeal and be willing to try again.

Oh yeah! They also wrap your elbow with a bright bandage around the gauze. I think the bright color is so that it stands out and people ask what that's all about and you tell them you donated blood and they say, "Oh! I should donate blood too!" I wonder if it ever works? So don't worry, I had bright teal bandages on both elbows and the small white bandage on my finger where they checked my red blood count. And seriously, my finger really did gush! Good thing I only had to pick one thing up from the store with those lovelies on. I only got a few curious looks. Not having donated blood before it didn't occur to me to go to the store before I was all bandaged from being attacked.

By this time I've learned a few things.

1) When it involves needles in my arm, whether that be drawing blood or getting an IV or whatever, I'm going to have to go in and just insist that they start me off with the boss - the person with the most experience. Not because I'm a snob (which is what most of them will think and the head nurse person won't be able to dispute it because they'll find my vein right away and not see what the problem is) but because I always end up seeing that person anyway but only after several unnecessary jabs and pokes, and much more discomfort than necessary.

2) My blood doesn't want to be removed. It's quite happy where it is so whether you want to test it or take it, you'll likely have to fight for it.

3) If I should undertake this endeavor again I'll need to plan on about 1 1/2 to 2 hours - just to be safe. (This one was over 1 1/2 hours...)



4 comments:

. said...

Oh yuck! It sounds like too much of an ordeal. I've never been allowed to enjoy that lovely experience, something about not weighing enough - guess I don't have enough blood to steal. I think I'd try it though - my veins don't hide when I've had to have blood drawn. Go brave woman!!

Celeste said...

This sounds like my exact experience! I donate yearly or most years because like you, I think its a nice thing to do. I always warn them that my veins are tricky and the nurses look at my arm and say "Oh these are easy" and go to work stabbing me. But apparently I have acrobatic veins and they always jump or wiggle and they end up digging around to find a good one. This ends up in nasty bruises. Glad to know you have the same problems!

Mandy said...

I think you deserve double credit for this donation, especially knowing that your blood doesn't flow easily. You're brave to do it anyway!

Trisha said...

I've never done it but know I should. But I hate needles too. I have a friend in Texas who went to donate blood for someone's eagle scout project that she knew and she passed out before they even took her blood. So she's not allowed to go anymore. Just think, at least you didn't pass out! :)