Monday, July 6, 2009

Dog Sitting

Last week we watched Becky's dog, Dakota, while they were on vacation. She was pretty good, she's calmed down substantially in her old(er) age which is nice because she was a total spaz when she was a puppy. Anyway, I came home last Thursday and Dakota was acting really weird and jumpy and kept going to the treats. Now, she always likes a treat after you've left her, whether it's for 10 minutes or 10 hours so I gave her one but that's all. (I did learn from this that we humans are not the only creatures that like a treat when we're feeling out of sorts.)

After a few minutes she started trying to hide under the desk and I noticed that her ears were back - and then it hit me! It was stormy outside and there was lots of thunder and Dakota hates thunder - quite terrified of it. So, of course, being the good doggie aunt that I am I sat down with her and pet her. After petting her for a few minutes, hair is flying everywhere and a nice little collection starts. If you think you've ever seen a dog that sheds a lot, wait until you see these pictures...


This was after petting her for about 20 minutes (and of course there was plenty left on the carpet, my clothes, floating in the air, etc.):

I put the movie next to the collection of dog hair just to give you a size reference:
This is pretty normal. She sheds like it's going out of style! I put up with it because, well, what else am I going to do? But also because it was fairly entertaining sitting there with her. She put her head down and rubbed against me and she tried several times to climb into my lap. Dakota is NOT a lap dog, as you can see:


Then she buried her head against my leg and covered her eyes with her paws. Any time it thundered she'd look at me and whimper. Poor Dakota! I feel sorry that she was so nervous but honestly it was quite humorous and endearing.

4 comments:

Sue said...

She really was amazingly good - for a dog. Dad vacuumed up 2 vacuums full of hair! It's fun to have Puppers visit us Then it's fun to have her go home again ;>)

Megan said...

Holy cow she really does shed! I love it when dogs cover their eyes with their paws... so cute!

Becky said...

She sheds more than any dog I've ever met. It's ridiculous. It's worse now, because it's hot, but it never really stops. But she is a good dog! : )

Trisha said...

I love her, she's so pretty! My Dixie dog is a black lab mix and she sheds, but not that bad. But she is scared to death of fireworks. She wouldn't even go outside if she heard one go off. She was all the way upstairs in the boys' bedroom. That is cute that Dakota actually covered her eyes with her paws.