Monday, May 18, 2009

3-Year Old Wisdom

Last night I sat on the swing with my nephew, Tiernan, and had an enlightening and entertaining conversation with him. I think 3-years old is just about a perfect age to talk to kids because they'll just sit there and talk to you and they are perfectly comfortable in their logic and they're not afraid to tell you when you are confused.  Here are some of the gems:



There were several bees on the flowers next to us. Tiernan does NOT like bees. 
T - We like honey but not from honey bees.
C - But that's where we get honey - from bees.
T - We don't like that kind of honey.
C - Oh yeah? Where does honey you like come from?
T - Just plain honey from other bees.
C - So honey is ok if it's not from honey bees?
T - Yeah, we don't like them.

C - Hey, guess what? I saw two snakes in our yard yesterday.
T - Were they gardner snakes?
C - Yep. Do you think snakes move fast or slow?
T - Slow.
C - Oh. Have you ever seen a snake move?
T - Yeah. Snakes play soccer.
C - Really? How do they kick the ball?
T - With their tails. 

T - You should take your watch off and put it in your pocket or robbers will get it.

Tiernan would like to live in the top of a tree and stay there forever. 
C - What else lives in trees?
T - Birds. 
C - What about bats?
T - No. They like their dark places to live.
C - What about bugs?
T - No. Bugs don't like trees.
C - If you live in a tree and never come down what will you eat?
T - Leaves. 

C - Do you want to read a book about bats with me?
T - No. I'm scared of bats. I read a book about snow monsters. 
C - Whoa! That's cool.
T - White ones eat bats but not black ones.
C - Black snow monsters? What do black ones eat?
T - Rocks.

Oh, and one of my personal favorites:

T - You can't move that rock. [A large rock in a flower bed.] Only monsters can move it.
C - I'm pretty strong. I bet I can move it.
T - You can't. You are not strong enough.
C - What if I'm Superman strong?
T - [With his face registering complete dismay at my suggestion] You're a girl! You can't move it!


5 comments:

. said...

=) So cute and fun. I agree - they say the best things, don't they?

Mandy said...

Who needs any other enterntainment? Oh, and if a robber doesn't get your watch, Brayden just might...

Megan said...

Haha so cute! Does Tiernan have socks on his hands in that picture?

Sue said...

Very observant Megan, he does indeed have socks, I believe he considers them gloves, on his hands. He wears them around all day. Now if we told him he HAD to wear socks on his hands all day he'd freak out....

Becky said...

I do love having conversations with Tiernan! (Well, both of the boys). They are so funny!